Installing a Sidewalk, Stoop and Stairs
|Is a ...||Required?|
|Permit||No (private sidewalk)|
|Zoning and Site Plan Review||Yes** (stoop/stairs)|
|Construction Plan Review||Yes (stoop/stairs)|
Homeowners and property owners can perform work on their own property without hiring a contractor. However, if a contractor is hired to perform the work, he or she must be licensed.
*New, replacement or repair.
**While a zoning review and permit is not required for installing a new sidewalk on residential property, a zoning review of a site plan may be desirable.
The information on this page pertains to private property only. The Public Works Sidewalk Inspections Office oversees the construction and repair of public sidewalks. See Sidewalk Repair Options for additional information.
Before You Start
Review the following information:
- Site Plan
- Finding a licensed contractor
- Hiring a Residential Contractor – what do I need to know? (PDF)
- Zoning Approval
- Property Line Information
- Property Line Location (PDF)
- Specifications for Monolithic Concrete Sidewalk, Concrete Driveways, Concrete Curb And Gutter, Concrete Alleys (PDF)
Last updated Jan 30, 2019