Home Improvement Permits Online
Home Improvement Permits Online for licensed contractors on 1 and 2 family dwelling unit properties. Contractors can apply, pay, and receive several simple (no plan or site review required) permits using the Web.
NOTICE OF ONLINE PERMITTING SYSTEM CHANGES
Starting Monday, September 15, 2014, the City will begin using an Interim Online Permitting System while its existing system is replaced by a new, improved system. Pre-approved licensed contractors will be able to purchase permits online through the Interim Online Permitting System using their current username and password. However, this system will not be able to process payments online.
To make payments during this interim period, customers can fax their credit card information to the City by completing this form. By completing this form, you are approving the City to store your credit card information to apply towards future permit purchases. All credit card information will be stored and secured according to Payment Card Industry Standards. Customers with a valid email address on account will receive an email notification that their permit has been approved within one business day after application is submitted.
Permits may also be purchased by fax at 612-370-1416 or in person at the Development Services Customer Service Center located at the Public Service Center, 250 S 4th Street, Room 300.
If you have questions and are located within Minneapolis call 3-1-1, if you are outside of the City, call 612-673-3000.
How are we doing? Take the Minneapolis Development Review Customer Survey. The survey takes 5-10 minutes to complete. Thank you!
How do I get a User Account?
Contact Minneapolis 311 at 612-673-3000 to request more information or if you experience problems with the user sign up. User Sign-Up You must be a licensed contractor to use Home Improvement Permits Online.
What permits are available?
Three types of simple permit (no plan or site review required) and associated scopes of work are available Online:
- Plumbing Fixtures: Replace existing plumbing fixtures, water lines, backflow devices (not RPZ’s, permits for Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow devices are not available online at this time).
- Water Heater – Replace: Replace existing gas water heater with a new gas water heater. The replacement of an electric water heater requires both electrical and plumbing permits.
- Water Meter: Replace or relocate an existing water meter .
- Gas Meter: Replace or relocate an existing gas meter.
- Gas Fixtures – Fireplace, Stove, Dryer: Replace or install a gas fireplace, stove or dryer.
BOTC-Exterior Structure Maintenance
- Carpentry Exterior: Repair/replace existing wood features w/o altering structural elements.
- Masonry Work: Repair/replace exterior brick veneer or chimney.
- Roofing: Remove existing, replace with approved system.
- Siding – Repair/Replace: Repair/replace existing siding w/o altering structural roof material and replace elements.
- Stucco/Plaster Repair/Replace: Repair or replacement of stucco or plaster down to and including the lathe.
- Window Replacement: Replace an existing window with like/kind – no change to the existing rough opening size.
- Combination: A combination of the above Scope Codes – normally requires a General Contractor’s license.
BSU-Street Use permits for dumpsters or storage containers
- Street Use: Permits for 1 - 4 residential units are issued in 30 day increments only and may be renewed up to a total of 120 days.
Residential HVAC Replacement Permit:
- Level 1: Includes Miscellaneous HVAC Work - No Burners
a. Radiation piping for space heating
b. Supplies & returns 4 openings or less (greater that 4 openings go to level 3)
c. Fresh air intake, air cleaner, humidifier, venting, fans, gas piping (heating systems only), radon mitigation and other accessories.
d. Air conditioner add-on or replacement
e. Solid fuel heating devices (wood, pellets, etc.)
- Level 2: Includes any Level 1 work and replacement of boilers/furnace
a. Replace boiler plus incidental piping
b. Replace furnace only with or without A/C - plenum included (no duct work beyond plenum)
c. Add or replace space heating unit
- Level 3: Includes any Level 1 or 2 work and entire system replacement
a. Remove existing system and install new (boiler or forced air system)
b. Install a new system to serve an existing non-conditioned space or addition
How do I pay?
All major credit cards accepted.
You must be able to supply the cardholder name, address, card number, expiration date, and a valid e-mail address, or your permit cannot be processed.
Please make sure your e-mail address is correct, as this address is used to send you a digital copy of your receipt.
All credit card information is secured using VeriSign® SSL encryption.
What computer set-up do I need?
The following computer capabilities are required:
- Access to the Internet
- A valid e-mail address
- A Web Browser: Internet Explorer Version 9 or later, Firefox Version 24 or later, Safari or Google Chrome
What is the refund Policy?
Access to Online Permitting
Pre-approved licensed contractors may access the online permitting application 24/7. Permits will be processed Monday-Friday by City staff during regular business hours, barring holidays.
Last updated Jul 1, 2015