Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Unlicensed Taxicabs

Information for drivers and cab owners

If your driver picks up passengers in Minneapolis, your cab must have a valid taxi sticker. This Minneapolis license sticker must be on the left side of your cab’s rear window. If your cab operates without this Minneapolis license, it is violating the local laws. These rules are found in the Minneapolis Code of OrdinancesYou can expect the following to occur.

1. We may tow your cab to the Minneapolis Impound Lot immediately.  It is evidence that you are operating with the required city license 
2. You will receive an Administrative Citation for $250. If you have prior citations, this amount will be between $500 and $2,000 . .
3. You may pay this citation. If you choose to pay this citation, you must wait an entire business day to allow us time to process your paperwork. We accept cash, cashier checks, money orders and credit cards. We will not accept a personal check for payment of an administrative fine. A cashier’s check should be payable to the Minneapolis Finance Department. Minneapolis City Hall Licenses and Consumer Services 350 South 5th Street, Room 1.
4. You may reclaim your vehicle. You must pay all the citations. Impounded vehicles are at the Minneapolis Impound Lot. You must pay towing and storage fees before you can receive your vehicle.   
5. You may appeal this citation. You have 20 days to appeal this citation. If you choose to appeal, you must attend an appeal hearing.  
Call or email Inspector Max Cervantes at 612-673-2564 or contact Business Licenses
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311.
People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.  TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626. 
Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hur 612-637-2800.  Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Last updated Jul 15, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo