Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


How Do I Obtain an Alcohol License?

Prior to submitting a license application, review these considerations:

1. Do you have a site in Minneapolis? The location must be zoned appropriately for the desired use and verified by Zoning staff.

2. Do you meet minimum applicant qualifications? Applicants must not have any felony or two alcohol related misdemeanors in the past five years and must be at least 21 years of age.

3. Do you have legal and traceable funding?

4. What type of establishment would you like license?

5. Are you planning on offering entertainment? The business plan and must be approved for in the specific zoning district.

6. Have you thought about your menu? Establishments must meet specified food service requirements, which may include a minimum number of entrees, for example.

7. Where are your customers going to park?

8. A complete set of requirements are listed in the application.

9. Review the application. Contact a License Inspector if you have questions.

10. Take your application to the Minneapolis Development Review Office at 250 South 4 th Street, Room 300, to begin your Zoning and Health reviews. Free parking is available.

A few tips…

Start Early. Prepare and submit your application well in advance of the date you wish to start your business. It may take extra time to schedule inspections and secure approvals from multiple divisions such as Zoning, Health, and Fire.

Follow the Checklist. The entire set of requirements is listed on the first page of every license application packet.

Know the Requirements. Before you sign a lease, consider making it contingent on obtaining the license you desire. Staff from Zoning can determine the type of business permitted at a location. You may need to submit a floor plan. Additional permits for building, plumbing or mechanical may be required. More information can be obtained from the Minneapolis Development Review Office.

Last updated Feb 26, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo