Alcohol Service Employee Training Tips
1. Issue a written policy that explains to all managers and employees that your establishment will not sell alcohol to any one who is under 21 years of age. Explain that you are required to obey federal, state and local laws.
2. Provide each employee with a summary of the laws regarding alcohol sales.
3. Require employees to sign an Alcohol Sales and Service Employee Agreement stating that they understand the law regarding alcohol sales to minors and your establishment’s policy.
4. Inform your employees that any alcohol sale to minors will result in disciplinary action and penalties.
5. Tell your employees that they must request photo identification from any one buying alcoholic beverage who is not obviously over (30) years of age. Make it clear that your policy is to refuse to sell without proof of age.
6. Teach employees how to read birth dates to determine if a person is 21 or over. Post signs for staff stating "Selling alcohol only to those born on this or before today’s date, 19xx."
7. Practice with your employees ways to check ID of customers and how to refuse sales to those under the age of 21.
8. As the law requires, post signs visible to the public stating that it is illegal to sell alcohol to people under the age of 21.
9. Instruct employees on the health and safety risks associated with alcohol use.
10. Provide regular training.
11. Use staff meetings to discuss recent problem situations.
12. Advise employees that you will spot check their compliance and reward employees who show exceptional performance as responsible alcohol beverage sellers.
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000. TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Jul 9, 2019