Minneapolis police officers can work off-duty, in an official capacity, as independent contractors for special events. Officers can use marked squad cars when available. Officers work in full uniform. Officers working off-duty respond to police calls the same as when on-duty.
The City of Minneapolis requires event organizers or venue operators to hire off-duty officers as follows:
A. Type of Event
- Events selling or serving intoxicating beverages for consumption and/or
- Events held in public spaces: sidewalks, streets, parks or public buildings.
- Event organizers may choose to hire off-duty officers to work in their official capacity on private property.
B. Officer to Attendee Ratio
- 1:500 ratio when intoxicating beverages are served.
- 1000 ratio when intoxicating beverages are not served
- Additional officers may be required based on the time of day, critical mass period, threat assessment, talent performing, type of entertainment, proximity to traffic and the impact on local traffic.
C. Hiring Guidelines
See the Minneapolis Police Department Off Duty Employment section of the Policy and Procedure Manual.
For more information, send an email to [email protected].
Last updated Jul 24, 2019