Business Intelligence Engineer - COGNOS
This position works in the Minneapolis IT Enterprise Data Management Program workgroup providing data analytics and reporting solutions on the IBM Cognos platform.
Our ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in an IT-related discipline and six years of progressively responsible experience developing solutions on the Cognos 10 business intelligence platform. Equivalent experience supporting other BI or data warehouse platforms, or designing and developing databases (preferably using both MS SQL Server and Oracle DBMS) will be considered.
Starting salary is dependent on qualifications. The full salary range is from $64,386 up to $88,616 per year. In addition, this position qualifies for a market-rate adjustment of up to $25,000 over and above the standard salary range.
The ability to pass a criminal background check is required for this position.
If you plan to apply, please read our Tips for a Successful Job Application page before you begin.
Typical job duties
- Interview/observe, research and analyze business goals, user requirements and other relevant factors to develop and document functional requirements , usability goals, data requirements, data flows and entity relationships
- Verify and translate functional and non-functional requirements to create system designs, estimate software project efforts, define project scopes and articulate software solution alternatives
- Design , develop, and implement business intelligence solutions, including reporting and dashboard, utilizing advanced Cognos components such as custom groups, consolidations, dashboards and metrics, and provide on-going analytical support for these solutions
- Document technical phases of the system development including installation/configuration, environment variables, scheduled jobs, file systems, maintenance history and upgrades, development, procedures or test plans
- Participate in data builds and deployment efforts
- Perform detailed data analysis, validation, and identify data quality issues
- Perform operational support for the Cognos system, including security management, scheduling, error recovery, upgrading, monitoring, change and incident management
- Work within the change-management process to deploy system changes into production.
Desired knowledge and abilities:
- Cognos Enterprise Planning (EP) administration and support
- Strong data modeling abilities with highly skilled attention to business requirements details.
- Strong knowledge of data warehousing concepts and techniques
- Good oral and written communication skills, negotiating skills, public speaking skills, research skills and analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to coach and mentor others on the design, development, and usage of the Cognos product suite.
- Ability to explain technical information in non-technical terms to audiences at all levels of the organization.
Last updated May 28, 2014