Initial Benefits Enrollment
Most employees are eligible for City sponsored benefits on the first day of the month following 30 days of employment. Waiting periods and participation start dates can be found in the policy or collective bargaining agreement governing your employment.
How to Enroll
You will receive a personal enrollment form which lists your benefit plan options and the associated monthly costs. This form will be part of a packet that you will receive at the Getting Started in the City class or it will be sent to your supervisor.
- You may enroll online using the COMET system. Under the self-service tab, select "Benefits" and then "Benefits Enrollment."
- You may enroll by returning your completed enrollment form to the Benefits Office in Room 100, Public Service Center. Be sure to make a copy of the completed form for your records.
You should enroll as soon as possible to ensure you have coverage on the effective date shown on your form.
Who is Eligible to Enroll
Medical and Dental Insurance
- Your spouse – the person to whom you are legally married,
- Your children under age 26,
- Your disabled children of any age.
The term "children" includes:
- Natural children, step children, adopted children and legal wards,
- Grandchildren who reside with you continuously from birth and are financially dependent upon you.
To ensure that your dependents are properly enrolled for benefits, please required documentation for dependents to the Benefits Office. Send them to Human Resources, Benefits in Room 100, 250 South Fourth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55401 or fax them to (612) 673-2533.
During the initial enrollment period, you may also enroll for optional and dependent life insurance. Optional life insurance allows you to supplement the basic life insurance provided by the City. Dependent life insurance provides $5,000 coverage for each eligible dependent. For details, see the life insurance webpage.
Last updated Mar 20, 2016