Harrington Beard House

Individual Landmark

Interior and Exterior

 

 Nicollet_Ave_S_5100_Harrington_Beard_House-1
1904

 Nicollet_Ave_S_5100_Harrington_Beard_House-2
2006

Address: 5100 Nicollet Avenue South

Neighborhood: Tangletown

Construction Date: 1888

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Harry Wild Jones

Architectural Style: Shingle

Historic Use: Residential – Single Family

Current Use: Residential – Single Family

Date of Local Designation: 1995

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Historic Person; Cultural History

Period of Significance: 1888 - 1968

Historic Profile: When the Harrington Beard house was built in 1888 at Nicollet Avenue and 50 th Street near Washburn Park, the area was advertised as an oasis "where men of business can get away from the noise of the city and the inconvenience of small lots and crowded neighborhoods." The Beard residence, affectionately named "Sunnyside," marks one of the earliest additions to the neighborhood, only preceded by The Washburn Memorial Orphan Home (1886) and the Harry Wild Jones house (1887). Harrington commissioned Jones, a prominent local architect responsible for the Butler Brothers Warehouse (1906), the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (1910) and the Washburn Water Tower (1932), to capture the feel of the 1890s, but integrate modern day conveniences into the decorating scheme. The entry hall, library, and dining room all have cherrywood trim throughout, including a built-in china cupboard in the dining room and the fireplace mantel in the library. The original exterior was executed in shingle and clapboard, but has now been stuccoed to the first-story level. The house was designed for the Harrington Beard family who opened the first art gallery, bringing in collections from London, New York, Boston and Chicago to Minneapolis. The Harrington Beard house is a significant historic landmark because of its association with the men who left a lasting legacy on the importance of art in Minneapolis.

Photo Credits:

1904, courtesy of Lee M. Jones, The Doors of Tangletown

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," April 1994.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011

QUICK LINKS

Home

Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

Accessibility:
For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

CONNECT

311 call center

TTY relay service

 

facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32




mpls-logo-white120