MacPhail School of Music

Individual Landmark

 

 LaSalle_Ave_1128_ MacPhail_School_of_Music-1
1936

 LaSalle_Ave_1128_ MacPhail_School_of_Music-2
2006

Address: 1128 La Salle Avenue South

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1923

Contractor: Magney and Tusler

Architect: Magney and Tusler

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Historic Use: Education – Dramatic Arts

Current Use: Education – Performing Arts

Date of Local Designation: 2001

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Cultural History, Master Builders

Period of Significance: 1923 - 2000

Historic Profile: The MacPhail School of Music grew from two rented rooms to become one of the largest schools of music and dramatic art in the United States. In its transition from a small violin school to a major institution of professional and popular study under William MacPhail, it reflected the progress of American music education. The new building, completed in 1923 and solely devoted to music and arts instruction, symbolized the growth and vitality of performing arts education in Minneapolis. With the construction of a new education center designed by Magney and Tusler Inc., the MacPhail School was unlike most other private schools of music in the country because it was housed in a stylish building intended for music. Throughout its ninety year history, the MacPhail School of Music has remained highly influential in the musical and artistic life of the city and region.

Photo Credits:

1936, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," January 2001.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011