Charles C. Bovey House

Individual Landmark

 

 Clifton_Ave_400_Charles_Bovey_House-1
1957

 Clifton_Ave_400_Charles_Bovey_House-2
2006

Address: 400 Clifton Avenue

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1916

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Howard Shaw

Architectural Style: Colonial Revival

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Commercial - Offices

Date of Local Designation: 1986

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900 -

Historic Profile: Notable as a fine, well-preserved example of early twentieth-century urban residential architecture, the Bovey Residence is remarkable structurally in that it was one of the first applications of reinforced concrete construction in the Twin Cities. Howard Shaw, the Chicago-based architect, created a Federal-style, flat-roofed, brick envelope about an Italianate plan. Photographic evidence points to the fact that the structure served as an elegant home for a wealthy Minneapolis citizen and his family. The plan fortuitously allows present-day use as offices for an architectural firm with little alteration or plan disruption.

Photo Credits:

1957, Norton and Peel, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1983.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 22, 2011