Calvary Baptist Church

Individual Landmark

 

 Blaisdell_Ave_S_2608_Calvary_Baptist_Church-1
1953

 Blaisdell_Ave_S_2608_Calvary_Baptist_Church-2
2006

Address: 2608 Blaisdell Avenue South

Neighborhood: Whittier

Construction Date: 1889

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Harry W. Jones and Warren H. Hayes

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Religious - Church

Date of Local Designation: 1995

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Areas of Significance: Cultural History, Master Architects

Period of Significance: 1889-1928

Historic Profile: Calvary Baptist Church exists as an architectural artifact symbolizing the growth and development of a Minneapolis Baptist congregation over a 125-year period. Because it retains the integrity of the original design, the church is representative of many Minneapolis churches erected during the period from 1885 to 1902. Calvary’s presence among a dwindling number of late nineteenth century Minneapolis churches, its long congregational history, and its association with architects Hayes and Jones make it an important contribution to the city’s religious and architectural history.

Photo Credits:

1953, Norton and Peel, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Registration Form," April 1994.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 23, 2011