Gethsemane Episcopal Church

Individual Landmark

 

 4th_Ave_S_901_Gethsemane_Episcopal_Church-1
1890

 4th_Ave_S_901_Gethsemane_Episcopal_Church-2
2006

Address: 901 4 th Avenue South

Neighborhood: Downtown West

Construction Date: 1883-84

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Edward S. Stebbins

Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Religious - Church

Date of Local Designation: 1983

Date of National Register Designation: 1984

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899; 1900-

 

Historic Profile: The Gethsemane Episcopal Church, one of the oldest surviving churches in Minneapolis, is significant for its Gothic Revival architectural style. The area surrounding the church has changed over the decades from its earlier, primarily residential, nature to its current commercial status. The church, having retained remarkable architectural integrity, represents a link with the nineteenth century in both design and location. The Episcopal parish was first organized in 1856 and within the same year the congregation had built their first church. By 1881, the congregation had expanded and a plan to erect a new church was implemented. The design was executed by Edward S. Stebbins, a locally prominent architect. Stebbins’ prototype for the design was based on the small English Gothic style parish churches found in rural England. The diminutive scale, which emphasized broad rather than tall proportions, was unusual for churches built in the late nineteenth century.

Photo Credits:

1890, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "Local Heritage Preservation Designation Study," March 1982.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Nov 21, 2011