The Minneapolis Health Department is launching a campaign to increase the availability of smoke-free rental housing
The US Surgeon General reports there are no safe levels of second hand smoke. The Minneapolis Health Department launched this campaign after conducting a survey of Minneapolis rental properties, which showed that one-third do not have a policy requiring people to smoke outside. In rental housing that accepts subsidies for low-income renters, there are even fewer smoke-free options. Only 38% of these properties have smoke-free policies.
The goals of the campaign are:
1. Encourage property owners and renters to pursue smoke-free rental housing
2. Thank people who smoke for protecting their neighbors from secondhand smoke.
As part of the Take It Outside campaign, MHD and Live SmokeFree can provide one-on-one assistance and resources to help.
Assistance for Property Owners/Managers
- One-on-One assistance for transitioning to a smoke free property.
- Step-by-Step process, surveys of buildings, etc.
- Clarification regarding Minnesota laws about smoking indoors.
- Ideas and resources for encouraging renter compliance with a new/existing policy.
- Free posters, postcards, door hangers, and lawn signs are available.
Assistance for Renters
- Tips and resources for approaching your property owner/manager.
- Health Department outreach to property owners/managers.
- A list of smoke-free rental properties.
For assistance and campaign materials, call Jackie with ANSR at 651-646-3005 or visit Live Smoke Free
For information about MHD and the campaign contact:
Phone: 612-673-3815 or [email protected]
- Benefits of smoke-free properties
- Smoking Cessation Assistance:
Protect yourself and your renters from secondhand smoke.Thank your neighbors for Taking It Outside.
Last updated Feb 26, 2018