TOBACCO FREE HOUSING
Eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke
The Minneapolis Health Department (MHD) promotes healthy, clean living environments for residents by:
- Partnering with Live Smoke Free to provide property managers and landlords with educational materials, model lease agreements and cessation support materials.
- Supporting the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority's (MPHA) adoption of tobacco free policies in 42 highrises by 2015.
- Working with the American Lung Association and other organizations to link residents to cessation resources.
- Partnering with the University of Minnesota Neighborhood Liaisons program to increase the availability of tobacco-free rental properties for students near campus.
For more information, contact:
- Minneapolis Public Houisng Authority's 42 highrises
- In 2013, MHD and Live Smoke Free worked with 30 properties to adopt smoke-free policies.
- MPHA implemented tobacco-free policies in 12 highrise builidngs affecting 700 residents. Another 24 highrise builidngs will go tobacco-free in 2014.
- MHD is providing cessation education and direct linkage to cessation supports for residents in seven highrise buildings that adopted a tobacco-free policy in 2013.
Are you a property manager interested in adopting a smoke-free policy? Are you a renter looking for smoke-free housing? Visit www.mnsmokefreehousing.org to get started!
- Live Smoke Free Smoke-Free Housing Information and Resources
- American Lung Association's Minnesota Freedom from Smoking Program
- Cessation resource:
Last updated May 2, 2014