Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
[email protected]
612- 673-2301

Submit permits in-person
at the customer service
counter on 3rd floor of
Public Service Center.

Directions & Parking for
Public Service Center

City of Minneapolis Health Department - Youtube Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Twitter Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Facebook page

Rock Crushing Permit


Required for anyone conducting crushing activities. Temporary crushing activities requiring a permit include crushing, grinding, pulverizing or milling of razed or demolished buildings, structural materials, roadway or other similar materials when performed in an open area by portable crushing machinery. Due to air quality concerns, a plan for dust is mandatory.

Temporary Rock Crushing Permit Application (pdf)

Permit fees can be found in the Director’s Fee Schedule.

Temporary Rock Crushing Ordinance

59.40. Temporary crushing permit required. (a) No person may begin operation of temporary crushing activities except under specific permit from the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or their designee.

(b) The fees for a temporary crushing permit issued pursuant to paragraph 59.40(a) shall be established in the director's fee schedule pursuant to section 91.70. Permits shall be obtained in advance of the proposed activity.

(c) Parties applying for a temporary crushing permit must provide a general notice of their activity to all occupants where the construction activity will occur and to the building owner and their tenants of all adjacent properties. The notice must include contact information for the party performing the construction activity, a brief description of the proposed work, the intended dates and times and must identify that complaints regarding the construction activity will be received by Minneapolis Information and Services by dialing 311 in Minneapolis or (612) 673-3000 from cell phones and phones outside of Minneapolis.

(d) A permit shall not be issued for the operation of temporary crushing equipment unless the following requirements as applicable are met:

(1) The performance standards in chapters 46, 47, 48, 50, 117 and 389 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances; and state rules and statutes as determined applicable by the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or their designee when issuing the wrecking permit required by section 117.10 of this Code;

(2) Materials crushed, ground, pulverized or milled must originate on the site where the temporary crushing activity is occurring unless the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or their designee determines that it is to the public benefit to transport to an off site location;

(3) Temporary crushing activities shall not exceed one hundred twenty (120) consecutive calendar days from the date of issuance of a required permit; and

(4) A temporary sign, three (3) feet by four (4) feet, indicating the name, address and telephone number(s) of the person(s) or agent(s) of the company conducting the temporary crushing activities shall be placed within ten (10) feet of all public rights-of-way adjacent to the project site. The company conducting the temporary crushing activities shall ensure that an agent responsible for the activities being conducted is available on site or by phone on a twenty-four (24) hour basis.

(e) Applications for temporary crushing permit shall be in such form as prescribed by the department of regulatory services. A copy of the written notice required by 59.40(c) must be submitted with the permit application. (2008-Or-097, § 1, 12-12-08)


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Aug 17, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo