Environmental Services - Air
Minneapolis Environmental Services works as the investigation and enforcement department for some types of air issues in the City of Minneapolis. We also work with the MN Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and the MN Department of Health (MDH) to address air concerns.
What we do:
- Abrasive blasting includes sand blasting, power washing or any abrasive blasting. It requires an Abrasive Blasting Permit. We inspect and enforce on permitted work sites and respond to complaints.
- Dust complaints – an inspector will respond by coming out to the site for investigation.
- Idling Minneapolis has an Anti-Idling Ordinance restricting vehicle idling.
- Emission source screenings – respond to complaints regarding emission sources and screen for potential threats to public health. Any concerns would then be passed onto the MPCA.
- Noise issues see the Neighborhood Noise page for more information.
- Odor – the City of Minneapolis has a criteria and threshold for nuisance odors. Odors have to be above the threshold to be in violation.
- Rock crushing rock crushing requires a permit, as well as an approved dust control plan.
What we don’t do:
- Emission levels we dont enforce on or deal with the permitting of emission levels for industrial or commercial sources. This is done by the MPCA.
- Indoor air the MDH Indoor Air Quality Unit works to enforce on indoor air quality issues.
Last updated Feb 4, 2015