Summary of Recommendations
Parks, Urban Design, and Environmental Restoration
- Create a continuous and integrated riverfront parks and open space system long the Upper River.
- Construct recreational trails along both banks of the river.
- Provide space in parks for riverbank, landscape, and habitat restoration.
- Develop waterfront features in new parks, and nodes of interest at regular intervals along trails.
- Preserve hospitality uses within parks corridor.
- Establish a Riverway Street System, with common streetscape elements and signage that identify streets leading to and paralleling the riverfront.
- Designate no-build zones to hold view corridors to the river and downtown skyline.
- Construct a system of area-wide water quality ponds that meet the highest standards for stormwater retention and filtration.
- Extend West River Parkway to North Mississippi Regional Park.
- Convert the BN Bridge to a pedestrian and bicycle facility linking both banks.
- Reconstruct Marshall Street as a boulevard, with new landscaping and bicycle lanes.
Land Use and Implementation
- Establish an Upper River Development Corporation as a non-profit entity with the sole purpose of implementing the Upper River Master Plan.
- Rezone property in accordance with the Upper River Land Use Plan.
- Close the Upper Harbor Terminal.
- Phase out heavy-industrial uses in Upper River corridor.
- Transition land use in corridor to a mix of parks, residential, light-industrial, and commercial uses.
- Develop new riverfront residential and mixed-use communities on west bank.
Last updated Oct 26, 2011