Public Works

350 South 5th Street
RM 203 City Hall
Minneapolis, MN  55415-1390



Photo Header.jpg

Public Works Capital Improvement Projects

Types of Projects

Construction projects planned by the City of Minneapolis Public Works Department include street paving and resurfacing, sidewalk, bridge, traffic control & street lighting, bike and pedestrian, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, water infrastructure, and more. Most projects fall under the designation Capital Improvement Projects (CIP). CIP projects are a part of the City's capital plan, which is reviewed and approved by City Council each year for funding. Other projects planned and constructed by the City may not be considered capital projects, such as transportation studies. 

Map 1 - green.png

Interactive Public Works Construction Projects Map


Map 2 - green.png
Printable PDF Map of Public Works Construction Projects


I want to...


More about the council-approved capital plan

Every year, the City adopts a plan for capital improvements for the next five years. Capital improvements include projects such as street construction, bridges, public buildings, traffic systems, park improvements, sewers and water infrastructure.

Prior to the mayor presenting her recommended budget to the City Council, elected officials gather feedback from residents regarding which capital projects the City should undertake through the Capital Long-Range Improvement Committee (CLIC). The CLIC consists of 33 residents (seven appointed by the mayor and two appointed by each of the 13 council members to represent their wards) who rank proposed capital projects based upon a number of criteria and present their recommendations to the mayor and City Council. (See the 2017 CLIC Book of proposals.)

(Description taken from the 2016 Council Adopted Budget)

How to use this web section

This page will give you information on City-planned construction projects. Learn more about a City project here or what is planned around where you work or live. For projects by other agencies, see MNDoT construction, Hennepin County construction, and Metropolitan Council construction. Private agencies may have projects as well.

CIP information is subject to change


Last updated May 5, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32