42nd Avenue North Street Reconstruction
The City of Minneapolis proposes to reconstruct 42nd Avenue North between Xerxes Avenue North and Lyndale Avenue North. The proposed project is scheduled to occur over the 2017 and 2018 construction seasons and will consist of improvements to the roadway, sidewalk and utilities. City staff is currently in the preliminary stages of planning and design for the project, which will be accompanied by community outreach activities that will help inform and guide design concepts.
This project encompasses the entire right-of-way and will address deteriorating pavement conditions, gaps in the sidewalk network, non-ADA compliant pedestrian walkways, the on-street bicycle facility, and needed utility improvements. The project is also planned to include improvements to the traffic signals, as well as new signage, curb/gutter, and pavements markings.
The 42nd Avenue North project is located in north Minneapolis from Xerxes Ave N to Lyndale Ave N.
April 27th, 2016 -- 7:00 p.m.
The Warren, 4400 Osseo Road
May 5th, 2016 -- 6:30 p.m.
1206 37th Avenue North
Community Meeting #2
May 16th, 2016 -- 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Webber Park Community Center
4300 Webber Parkway
Minneapolis, MN 55412
The community meeting is being held to present the proposed street design concept and address any questions that you may have about the 42nd Avenue North reconstruction project. Project staff from the Department of Public Works will be in attendance to provide an overview of the project and talk with residents, businesses, and stakeholders. Attendees will have an opportunity to learn about the project and ask questions, with a formal presentation provided at 6:15 p.m.
January 25th, 2017
June 8, 2018 Update: Phase 1 (Xerxes Avenue to Penn Avenue North) is complete and opened to traffic.
Phase 2 (Penn Ave N to Fremont Ave N)
Activities on June 4-8, 2018
- Top soil restoration behind the sidewalk between James Ave N and Penn Ave N on the south side of the roadway.
- Removed winter ramp on driveways, alleyways, and curb radiuses between Fremont Ave N and Penn Ave N.
- Installed metal rings around the manhole castings and raised to final grade.
- Removed curb and gutter and sidewalks on the west side of Fremont Ave N intersection.
- Installed signal and lighting conduits on the west side of Fremont Ave N intersection
Activities on June 11-15, 2018
- Pour curb and sidewalk on the west side of Fremont Ave N intersection
- Signal work at Fremont Ave N intersection
- Seeding between James Ave N and Penn Ave N on south side of the roadway
Phase 3 (Fremont Ave N to Lyndale Ave N) is scheduled to begin on June 25, 2018. The roadway in this segment will be closed to traffic.
November 17, 2017 Update: The street will be open to traffic and pedestrians, including the side streets, driveways and alleys, during Phases 1 (Xerxes Avenue to Penn Avenue North) and 2 (Penn Avenue North to Fremont Avenue North) which will take place during the winter 2017 - 2018 season. The signal system at Penn Avenue North and 42nd Avenue North will be operational during this time; the new lights between James to Xerxes will also be operational.
2018: Remaining work in Phases 1 & 2 -- 2" final wear, singing and striping minor side street work
2018: Phase 3 (Lyndale Avenue North to Fremont Avenue North) -- Roadway will be closed for reconstruction.
May 3, 2018 Update: Contractor mobilized and began work on April 30, 2018. Remaining work from 2017 will be completed on Phase I and phase II:
- Remove temporary pavement and replace it with concrete pavement (Bus pad) at the following locations:
- Between Xerxes Ave N and Washburn Ave N (2 bus pads)
- Between Washburn Ave N and Vincent Ave N (2 bus pads)
- Between Vincent Ave N and Upton Ave N (2 bus pads)
- Between Upton Ave N and Thomas Ave N (1 bus pad)
- Remove temporary bituminous pavement on the side streets and replace it with concrete pavement at the following locations:
- North and South end of project limit at Washburn Ave, Vincent Ave N, Upton Ave N, and Sheridan Ave N
- North end of the project limit at Thomas Ave N
- North end of project limit at Russell Ave N and Queen Ave N
- Remove temporary sidewalk and Ped ramps and replace it with concrete walks and Ped ramps at the following locations:
- Install ped ramps at NE and NW corner Between Xerxes Ave N and Penn Ave N.
- Install sidewalks on the North side of the roadway between Upton Ave N and Penn Ave N
- Install sidewalks on the South side of the roadway between James Ave N and Penn Ave N.
- Place final wear mix asphalt and striping from Xerxes Ave N to Fremont Ave N.
- Continue working on lighting and signal work east of James Ave
June 2018: Phase III from Fremont Ave N to Lyndale Ave N
If you would like to learn more about the proposed reconstruction, request additional information, or share your ideas please contact the project team.
Contacts: Meseret Wolana, Construction Engineer, 612-673-3527
& Adam Hayow, Lead Engineer, 612-673-2172
(Note: Project information may change due to scheduling, weather, or other factors outside of our control. Listings will be updated as new information becomes available.) Citizens concerned with pedestrian access during construction should contact the project manager directly.
Last updated Jun 12, 2018