Minneapolis Census 2000 Results
This site includes a variety of Minneapolis-specific tables and reports from the Census 2000 statistics, as well as selected data from the 1990 and 1980 Census for comparative purposes. This information is intended to inform residents and other stakeholders about population and related demographic trends. Information posted on this site will be useful for neighborhood planning processes, trend studies and grant applications.
The early releases from Census 2000 (SF1 and SF2) included data on population, race, ethnicity, age, gender distribution by race, household relationship and household type, housing units, occupancy and tenure. Data from SF1 and SF2 are included in the City’s census website by census tract, by neighborhood, and for the City as a whole. See links below.
Neighborhood-level data (March 2005)
- The Census Bureau's Summary File 3 (SF3) released in June 2002 contained data on social characteristics such as marital status, language spoken, place of birth, school enrollment and educational attainment. The statistics also reveal economic characteristics such as income and poverty information and employment status. SF 3 data were originally available on the City’s census website only by census tract and for the City as a whole. In October of 2004, the City obtained a special extract of selected Summary File 3 data by neighborhood. That data has now been posted on the site in both Excel and pdf formats at the following links:
- Selected Economic Characteristics by Neighborhood, 1990 and 2000 Census
- Selected Housing Characteristics by Neighborhood, 1990 and 2000 Census
In addition, a series of neighborhood-specific historical profiles based on selected census data for 1980, 1990, and 2000 are being added from the link below:
- Minneapolis Neighborhood Profiles (March 2005)
General questions about Minneapolis Census data can be directed to Thavisack (Sok) Silaphet, City Planner, City of Minneapolis, (612) 673-2313.
- 2000: Profile of General Demographic Characteristics (June 2002)
- 2000: Profile of Selected Economic Characteristics June 2002)
- 2000: Profile of Selected Housing Characteristics (June 2002)
- 2000: Profile of Selected Social Characteristics (June 2002)
- 2000 Minneapolis Redistricting Data
- 1990 to 2000: Population by Race and Ethnicity for Minneapolis
By 2000 Census Tract
(requires Acrobat Reader)
- Minneapolis map
- Percent of person at 33.5 Poverty map
- Very low Income family map
- Low income family map
- Moderate income family map
- Households with no phone and-or linguistically isolated map
- Minneapolis Neighborhood Profiles (new March 2005)
- General Demographic Characteristics by Neighborhood, 1990 and 2000 Census
- Selected Economic Characteristics by Neighborhood, 1990 and 2000 Census (new March 2005)
- Selected Housing Characteristics by Neighborhood, 1990 and 2000 Census (new April 2005)
- 2000 Race and Ethnicity by Neighborhood
- 1990 Census: Race and Ethnicity by Neighborhood
- 1990 to 2000 Population Change by Neighborhood
Note: The 2000 Census data has not yet been reviewed for accuracy or completeness by the City of Minneapolis.
Last updated Nov 13, 2012