Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or (612) 673-3000

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Inspections and Permits

Basic Permit Information

Building projects of any size may require one or more permits prior to the start of work. Permits may be pulled by the homeowner and/or licensed contractor. To find out if you need to obtain a permit for work on your property, contact Minneapolis 311.

For more detailed information on applying for a permit, please check out our Permit Information Sheet. To see a list of the permits associated to a given property, please check out our Property Info webpage.

Basic Inspection Information

Inspections are required by state law on all permits obtained. The City of Minneapolis has Construction Code Services inspectors that cover all Building, Plumbing and Mechanical work. Inspectors are assigned based on property location. The assigned inspector’s contact information will be provided when you receive your permit. Please see our Inspections FAQ’s for more information on this process.

To prepare for an inspection, make sure that the project is ready for inspection before you call for an appointment. If you are using a licensed contractor, they will schedule the inspection. If you are not using a contractor, a person 18 years of age or older must be at the property during the inspection.

Please note, electrical inspections are handled through the State.

Report Un-Permitted Work

Doing work requiring a City permit on your property without said permit is against City ordinance. To learn more about how to report un-permitted work and what the process is once a report has been made, visit our Report Un-Permitted Work webpage.

Contact Construction Code Services

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 311 or 612-673-3000
Fax: 612-673-5814

Last updated Aug 8, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo