Green Your Business
Minneapolis is deeply committed to retaining, growing and attracting green-manufacturing businesses and jobs in the City.
Thinc.Green MSP Regional Partnership
Thinc.Green MSP is a first-of-its kind green manufacturing partnership led by the Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, industry groups and business leaders working to implement a targeted set of strategies and tools to:
- Build local markets for green products and services. For a list of local green businesses, check out the Twin Cities Green Product & Service Directory.
- Brand Minneapolis and Saint Paul as a great place for green business development
- Create a green business-friendly environment that will help attract, retain, and grow cleantech companies, manufacturers, suppliers, and related services
- To learn about some outcomes from the Thinc.GreenMSP initiative, check out this summary.
Green Support and Financing
Energy Efficiency Programs and Financing
- One-Stop Lighting
Reduce your energy costs for lighting with this program through Xcel Energy and the Center for Energy and Environment.
- Trillion BTU Program
Reduce energy costs in your industrial or large commercial facility.
- RENEW Employment and Training Program
RENEW Minneapolis prepares Minneapolis jobseekers for in-demand careers, aligning training with sustainable economic development.
Green Business Matching Grant Program
- The City’s Green Business Matching Grant Program provides grants to Minneapolis businesses such as dry cleaners and vehicle repair shops that invest in cleaner, greener and more efficient technologies.
- Homegrown Minneapolis is an initiative of the City of Minneapolis to improve the growth, sales, distribution and consumption of healthy, locally grown foods within the city and surrounding regions.
- Homegrown Business Development Center provides financing and technical assistance to Minneapolis based businesses that manufacture local food products.
City of Minneapolis Environmental Purchasing Policy
Green Business Partners
The City partners with several organizations to build the green economy.
- The Center for Energy and Environment administers several of the energy efficiency programs available in Minneapolis.
- Energy Smart is a program of Minnesota Waste Wise, a non-profit affiliate of the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce. Their mission is to help businesses save money through energy efficiency.
TC Green Product & Service Directory
The City’s Department of Community Planning & Economic Development has a variety of resources to help your business succeed. Call us for information on:
- Business Licensing: Call 612-673-2080.
- Permits for construction, remodeling, and renovation projects and zoning questions: Call 311 or (612) 673-3000 or visit the service center downtown.
- Business financing programs: Call 612-673-5072.
- Workforce and training assistance: Mark Brinda at 612-673-6231.
- Site selection and general business questions: Miles Mercer at 612-673-5043.
- Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP)
We look forward to working with you!
Last updated Nov 4, 2016