How does the city discontinue a board or commission?
Definition: Sunset is the Council process to discontinue a board, commission or committee.
- The originating ordinance may state that the board should be sunset at a specific time. If no provisions have been made to extend the time or remove the clause, the board is automatically sun-setted. In other situations, the city clerk prepares a request to council to sunset a board when:
- The board ceases to exist in fact – i.e., no longer holds meetings
- The final report has been provided to the City Council
- The organization has served its public purpose, its mission is complete, or its services are no longer required
- The board, commission, or committee cost more than it benefits
- Staff support is no longer available and the group cannot support itself
Last updated Sep 27, 2011