How does the selection process work?
- The city clerk receives all applications and forwards them to the board or commission where the vacancy exists.
- Board and appointing authority staff review applications within 10 days after the closing of the application period. They work together on the process for making recommendations to the council. For example, some boards have a screening committee to make preliminary recommendations and others simply forward all applications to the council without any ratings, rankings or recommendations.
- The appointing authority staff writes the request for council approval with information supplied by board staff.
- Board staff notifies applicants about their status and whether they need to attend the council committee meeting.
If I’m selected, what happens before I begin to serve?
- The city clerk provides oath forms to board staff after council approval of the appointments. Board staff returns the signed oaths to the city clerk.
- Board staff notifies new members of the next meeting and provides orientation materials.
Last updated Sep 27, 2011